ZUCCHINE AL FORNO AL SAPORE DI MENTUCCIA
BAKED COURGETTES WITH MINT AND GARLIC)
Ingredients (for 6)
4 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
8 tbsp chopped mint leaves
3-4 garlic cloves
8 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
100ml extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash and dry the courgettes, chop off the two ends and cut the courgettes lengthwise. Sprinkle the cut sides lightly with sea salt and place them on a wooden board, cut side down. Leave them for at least 30 minutes. During this time some of the vegetable liquid will drain away.
2. Heat the oven to 160°C Fan/180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
3. To make the stuffing, put the chopped herbs, garlic and breadcrumbs in a bowl and gradually add half the oil, while beating the mixture with a fork. When this is done, season with salt and a generous grinding of pepper.
4. Brush a baking sheet large enough to hold the courgette halves in a single layer lightly with oil.
5. Wipe the courgette halves with kitchen paper and lay them, cut side up, on the sheet. Brush the courgettes with a little of the oil and then pile some of the herb mixture over each half. Drizzle with about half the remaining oil and place the tray in the oven. Bake until the courgettes are tender – test by inserting a knife into them – which will be about 20–25 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and place two courgette halves on each plate. Drizzle the remaining oil over them and serve warm or at room temperature.